This is an updated version of Chicken Divan with a hint of curry.
3 boneless chicken breasts or 8 tenders
2 cans cream of chicken
1/2 cup mayonnaise
16 oz frozen broccoli florets
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper (fresh is best)
1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place chicken in a pot with enough cold water to cover it. Heat on medium low to medium until chicken is cooked through. I try not to let mine boil, the chicken seems to turn tough if you do. Cooking it slowly is the best method.
3. Place frozen broccoli in a microwave safe bowl, cover with a lid or plastic wrap. Microwave on high 3-5 minutes or until broccoli is thawed. Do not worry about water, the frozen broccoli will create enough moisture on it’s own to steam it slightly. This will also keep the broccoli from getting water logged and making your Divan watery.
4. In a mixing bowl combine the soup, mayo, lemon juice, curry and salt and pepper.
5. Once chicken is cooked, allow it to cool enough to handle it, then cut or shred it into bite size pieces.
6. In a large (9×13) casserole dish layer the ingredients, beginning with broccoli, then chicken and finally the soup mixture.
7. Bake for about 20-30 minutes, until heated through and bubbly.
8. Mix together bread crumbs (I just buy a can of plain bread crumbs and sometimes I use Panko bread crumbs) and cheese.
9. Sprinkle cheese and bread crumb mixture over top of casserole and bake another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. You can add the cheese mixture earlier if you prefer a browner cheese. My family likes it gooey.
Please do not use Miracle Whip or a salad dressing style mayonnaise for this recipe, it is too sweet and does not match well with the curry flavor. You can also use more curry if you really love it. I do, I just keep adding and tasting the mixture until I am happy with the curry flavor.
We like to serve this with another of my recipes rice casserole.